Design Consultant - Interior Design
Santa Clara, Ca
Works both independently and collaboratively with internal and external partners to develop creative interior space solutions to meet customer needs. Engages with customers at a high level to gather programmatic information, develop business relationships, and solve complex problems. Involved in design projects and related tasks from inception to final installation.
- Engage with customer to gather project information (surveys, interviews, data collection, observations) and to uncover customer challenges.
- Partner with Sales on engagements with customers/A&D
- Assist with customer engagements and workshops
- Attend industry events
- Perform field measurements and inventory product.
- Conduct product research and contact vendors for pricing and information
- Specify furniture required per final furniture layouts and select furniture finishes.
- Produce and present design concepts to customers.
- Generate, organize and maintain CAD/CET files
- Produce furniture block plans, space plans, finish palettes, furniture specification, and installation drawings. Draw, revise and plot design drawings.
- Develop validation packages and spreadsheets
- Assist with design proposals.
- Estimate budgetary hours and manage and monitor project hours.
- May perform peer audits for other designers.
- Serve as mentor to other designers as determined by level of experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Interior or Architectural Design, Associate Art’s degree or equivalent from a two-year college will be considered
- 3+year related design experience
- Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) or National Architecture Board (NAB) accreditation preferred.
- Prior experience with system furniture products a plus.
- Requires the ability to be optimistic, independent, and forward thinking.
- Must be a creative problem solver with an ability to navigate ambiguous situations.
- Must believe in the ability of physical space to have a positive impact on the lives of others and possess an appreciation for Design Principles and Design Thinking Methodology.
- Proficiency in a variety of software: AutoCAD, SketchUp, and Microsoft Office. CET Designer, 20/20 CAP, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign desired.
- Ability to apply commercial furniture products and systems furnishings
- Appreciation for Interior Design principles, to include: texture, color, form, function, materiality balance, rhythm, repetition, proximity, symmetry, biophilia, cognition and perception
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
- Must be cooperative and accommodating, with the ability to work with and learn from others
- Understanding of ancillary furnishing and décor, as well as design thinking methodology
- Ability to apply design practices as well as knowledge of building codes, regulations, ADA
- Ability to provide friendly, professional service to internal staff and clients
- Strong time management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects, while taking ownership for project deliverables
- Exceptional customer service skills with ability to provide solutions to client needs
- Ability to draw/sketch by hand
- Complex reading and writing skills
- Seeing, color perception, hearing/listening, clear speech, hand and finger dexterity, and ability to move distances within and between warehouses/offices, ability to get to project sites.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Judgement/decision making, analysis/comprehension
- Regularly works with others face to face, over the phone and through email.
- Generally, works in an office environment with moderate noise.
- Nature of work may require time spent out of the office; reliable transportation required.
- Periodically works outside and may work around moving objects, dust and dirt.